Wednesday, January 26, 2005

ICANN's Fear of Transparency

.
At CapeTown: VINT CERF -- I'm going to introduce this motion. We are resolving, if you agree, that the minutes of the meetings of 26 June 2003, 23 July 2003, 8 August 2003, 19 August 2003, 9 September 2003, 12 September 2003, 13 October 2003, 30 September 2004, 18 October 2004, and 15 November 2004 are approved and adopted by the board as presented. I place that motion on the table and ask for a second. Mike Palage seconds.

Has anyone seen these minutes? What ever happened to: "ICANN and its constituent bodies shall operate to the maximum extent feasible in an open and transparent manner" -- I guess that transparency applies to everyone except the Board. At a time when WSIS participants are calling for transparency in the management of the Internet, why is ICANN still refusing to release their Board meeting minutes? Perhaps some member of the Board will see fit to explain and justify their actions... but I tend to doubt it.

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Karl Auerbach said...

When I was on the board I posted my notes of most, but not all meetings, at http://www.cavebear.com/icann-board/diary/index.htm
However my term covered only the June 26 2003 and July 32 2003 meetings (the latter of which was a public meeting.)

It would be very difficult for members of ICANN's present board to cast an informed vote on the minutes from meetings that occurred before they were placed onto the board. In fact I personally consider it a violation of a board member's obligations to vote on any matter about which they have no knowledge and have not made an informed decision.

As for the secrecy - Never once did I ever hear any cogent reason or argument why the vast majority of ICANN's board meetings (the telephone meetings and the informal dinner meetings) needed to be kept under the Cone of Silence.

ICANN presidents past and founding poo bahs have expressed the irrational rationale that for ICANN's board to be open it must operate in secret else the board members might be afraid to open discuss ideas. That is, of course, rubbish.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Global Names said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a cheap domain site. You better check it out some time.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home